• Machrihanish Dunes recognised with IAGTO sustainability award
• The course won ‘Outstanding Commitment to Sustainable Golf’
• “We are thrilled,” said David Southworth – founder of The Village
On the final night of the International Golf Travel Market (IGTM) in Mallorca, which was attended by more than 1,000 industry professionals, Machrihanish Dunes took home one of 14 awards handed out, which was ‘Sustainable Golf Course of the Year – Outstanding Commitment to Sustainable Golf’.
“The Machrihanish Dunes project represents golf’s turning point back towards stunning, highly naturalised courses” – Jonathan Smith
The IAGTO Sustainability Awards are the result of a partnership between IAGTO and the Golf Environment Organisation (GEO), which recognises excellence in environmental and social responsibility.
And Machrihanish Dunes, which is one of the 18 courses available to play in the 2017 bunkered subscription offer, clearly ticked all of those boxes for the GEO.
Jonathan Smith, GEO chief executive, said: “Machrihanish Dunes, the winner of this year’s inaugural Outstanding Commitment Award, have, from the course’s inception through to today, worked in harmony with the natural environment.
“In many ways, the Machrihanish Dunes project represents golf’s turning point back towards stunning, highly naturalised courses.”
“Our company places great importance on being good stewards of the environment” – David Southworth
David Southworth, founder and CEO of Southworth Development, the parent company of The Village at Machrihanish Dunes, said: “We are thrilled. Our company places great importance on being good stewards of the environment.
“We consider ourselves privileged to have the opportunity to stand watch over this precious shore land. It’s a responsibility that we welcome – and one that we also take very seriously.”
Hilton Head Island (above) in South Carolina, home to the PGA Tour’s RBC Heritage, scooped the inaugural ‘Sustainable Golf Destination of the Year’ award, while the ‘Golf Destination of the Year’ in Europe went to Andalucia, Spain.
Golf Destinations of the Year
• North America: North Florida, USA
• Latin America & Caribbean: Los Cabos, Mexico
• Africa & Gulf States: Western Cape, South Africa
• Europe: Andalucía, Spain
• Asia & Australasia: Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Golf Resorts of the Year
• Europe: Costa Navarino, Greece
• North America: Barefoot Resort & Golf, South Carolina, USA
• Rest of the World: Laguna Golf Lăng Cô, Vietnam
Undiscovered Destination of the Year
• Kärnten (Carinthia), Austria
What do you think of Machrihanish Dunes? You can play it as one of your three courses in the bunkered 2017 subscription offer here.