Royal Musselburgh was founded in 1774 and was originally played over the famous nine-hole links course at Levenhall, Musselburgh. In 1926 the move was made to Prestongrange House, Prestonpans.
The golfing challenge comes on the homeward stretch where a series of par fours are well protected by trees. From the medal tee at the 15th, for example, which is huddled tight beside the trees to the left, only a precision drive will suffice in order to find the rolling fairway. From there a long iron is played over an uphill approach to a tilting green.