Over the last four years, Bridgestone Golf has produced high-end equipment that has helped the likes of Matt Kuchar, Brandt Snedeker and Fred Couples bank in excess of $30m in prize money.
Now, it has taken that tour-proven quality and applied it to the production of clubs that golfers of all standards can benefit from.
Launched at last week’s PGA Merchandise Show in Orlando, Bridgestone Golf’s extensive new product lines offer premium gear that is designed to be custom fitted to the needs of each individual player.
It’s a comprehensive new line-up, so let’s take a closer look at each category in a bit more detail.
The first driver to be introduced by Bridgestone since 2010, the J715 460 driver (pictured above) incorporates no fewer than four new technologies that are designed to maximise distance and accuracy off the tee, including the ability to adjust the crucial loft and lie settings.
1. The Fast Action Speed Technology (FAST) crown is extremely thin near the clubface and thickens progressively towards the back of the club head to enable the crown to flex slightly at impact, thereby creating a higher launch trajectory and increased velocity.
2. A Power Milled Face featuring a patented pattern addresses the issue of ‘ball slippage’ found on some drivers and maintains the ball’s position of impact to enhance the quality of compression time, so reducing the spin (200-300 rpm’s according to robot testing) for straighter and longer drives.
3. Spin Flight Control Technology involves moveable weights on multiple axes in the heel and middle of the club head, so the golfer can customise the centre of gravity for the desired degree of spin and trajectory.
4. Finally, the Variable Adjust System enables the golfer to change both the loft and lie angles on the driver – the loft up to 1° (closed & open) and lie settings of standard, 1° upright or 2° upright.
The J815 driver, meanwhile, is another adjustable model ideally suited to golfers looking for more solid ball-striking off the tee. Like the J715, it boasts Power Slit Technology for greater ball velocity and a strong trajectory, but it has a more rigid sole design to gain higher ball flights by generating a 10% lower spin rate that gets the ball airborne and flying further. The larger head shape of the J815 is designed to boost confidence at address, while extra volume in the heel improves ball strikes.
• Both drivers are available in 9.5° and 10.5° loft options and come with a Mitsubishi Fubuki ZT shaft and custom yellow Golf Pride Tour Velvet grip as standard. Available from selected customer fit centres from March, the J715 and J815 drivers will each have a RRP of £349.99.
FAIRWAY WOODS & HYBRIDS
Both the new J15F fairway woods and J15 HY hybrids benefit from design innovations that optimise ball flight and add greater distance from various lies.
The improved distance and versatility attributed to the clubs can be attributed to the following key technologies and modifications they share:
1. The proprietary FAST Crown technology composed of high strength AM355 Maraging steel that is exceptionally thin near the clubface and thickens progressively towards the back of the club head. The resulting flex at impact creates a higher launch angle and a spring-like effect to deliver impressive ball velocities.
2. The Hyper Stainless 455 Steel Face used to manufacture the clubfaces of both the fairway woods and the hybrids is the thinnest face ever produced by Bridgestone Golf at 1.8mm for maximum velocity within the rules.
3. An adjustable Weight Port Technology in the sole of both clubs allows the golfer to influence the level of spin and trajectory for maximum distance and control.
4. A reduced heel profile is delivered by removing material from the heel ensuring less drag in all lies for greater versatility, while the back sole of the club has been lowered to streamline the design and create a sweeping action when coming into contact with the turf and enhancing playability from any lie.
• The J15 fairway woods will be available from selected custom fit centres from March in 13.5°, 15° and 18° loft options and come standard in the Fubuki Z Fairway shaft and custom yellow Golf Pride Tour Velvet grip with an RRP of £199 RRP.
• The J15 hybrid comes in loft options of 17°, 19°, 21° and 23° in the same shaft and grip as the fairway woods with a RRP of £159.