ANTHONY WALL | PAUL LAWRIE MATCH PLAY
Anthony Wall won the Paul Lawrie Match Play for only his second European Tour win and his first since the Alfred Dunhill Championship in January 2000.
Incredible, really. In capturing the title at Archerfield Links, Anthony Wall broke two records:
• The longest gap between victories in European Tour history – 16 years and 204 days. Beating Tom Kite’s 16 years and 36 days between the 1980 European Open and 1996 Oki Pro-Am
• The largest number of event between European Tour wins – 430. Obliterating the previous record of 276 by Christy O’Connor Jnr between the 1975 Carrolls Irish Open and 1992 Jersey European Airways Open.
Read more -> Anthony Wall wins Paul Lawrie Match Play
And A LOT has changed in the world since Anthony Wall’s last win:
1. Tiger Woods won 12 majors, had 72 other professional wins, spent 589 weeks as world No.1 and fell to world No.647;
2. Jordan Spieth was just 6
3. There have been four Olympics, with Rio 2016 the fifth
4. Europe have won the Ryder Cup six times
5. There have been 38 different major champions
6. There have been four different Prime Ministers of the UK
7. England have qualified for eight major tournaments, but have only won two knockout matches
8. While Scotland haven't qualified for any
9. And both teams have had a combined 18 managers (including caretakers)
10. Sir Alex Ferguson has won eight Premier League titles, one Champions League, one FA Cup, three League Cups, five Community Shields, one Club World Cup and has been retired for three years
11. You connected to the internet through a dial-up connection
12. You were still playing on the original PlayStation – because the PlayStation 2 wasn’t out until two months later
13. The Nokia 3210 was the phone of choice
14. Meaning the best game was, well, Snake obviously
15. There was no such thing as an iPod – just an MP3 player which held about 15 songs!
16. Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic have won a total of 43 men’s singles tennis tournament combined
17. The Blue Peter presenters were Matt Baker, Simon Thomas, Konnie Huq and Katy Hill
18. The way you checked for live football scores without being at the game was this
Anthony Wall :: Long-awaited win
What did you make of Anthony Wall's long-awaited win at the Paul Lawrie Match Play? Leave your thoughts in the 'Comments' section below.