Shane Lowry defends The R&A's COVID protocols

Shane Lowry Open Protocols

Shane Lowry has said that The R&A are doing a “great job” with the current COVID-19 restrictions in place at this year’s Open Championship.

As part of the protocol for the week, The R&A has said that players will be required to provide a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours of entering the country and another on arrival at Royal St. George’s.

Players will not be allowed to visit restaurants, bars, shops and must stay in either an official hotel or in a private self-catering home with a maximum of four occupants. In other words, players and their caddies cannot share property with other players and caddies.

Lowry, 34, has said that the restrictions are worth it in exchange for fans returning to the galleries.

• Former champ WDs from Open with COVID

• Bryson DeChambeau names new caddie

“It's not ideal, but that's the world we live in at the minute,” said the Irishman. “That's the rules we have to abide by. If you test positive, you can't play. That's why the R&A have done a great job and they're doing a good job this week of trying to keep us away from as many people as they can.

“I know there's going to be 32,000 people there. I think that's great for the tournament, but us as players, I'm in my own bubble at my own house and I'm not leaving. I'm not allowed to do any of that stuff, and I think that's good.

“Like I don't want to be here playing in front of nobody, so I think it's great that there's 32,000 people, and I was very excited when I heard that there was going to be that many people here.”

• WATCH: Ball struck by lightning in mid-air

• Horschel reveals football-themed bag for Open

Lowry even went on to suggest that the protocols in place could give him a better chance of success.

"It's a bubble, but I don't think I'll be doing anything different than I normally do," he said. "I reckon if it was a normal Open and I was defending I might have a couple more things to do, so it probably is working in my favour a little bit as regards my performance."

The five-time European Tour winner admitted that 2020 was a tough year for him, but that he’s now feeling in confident shape to defend the Claret Jug.

“I think I struggled last year coming out of lockdown,” he added. “I was playing great. I've never played as much golf in my life, and I just was stale when I got out there. I just couldn't get it going.

• Lidl launches new golf range - really!

“There is always that little bit of anxiousness to get out there and get going on a Thursday morning, and it'll be the same this week. I know I finished kind of middle of the pack at the Irish Open in Lahinch, but I really felt like my golf was quite good. When I look back I was in a great place.”

Share this Article

share-logo
twitter-logo facebook-logo

Latest Videos See all videos right arrow

play button
WHO WOULD USE THIS GOLF CLUB? | TaylorMade 300 Mini Driver review
TaylorMade
play button
4 IRON TIPS IN UNDER 3 MINUTES
Andrew Jowett
play button
BUDDIES TRIP | Does Adare Manor live up to the hype?
Adare Manor
play button
£519 DRIVER vs £150 DRIVER | What's the difference?
Titleist
See all videos right arrow

Golf News

10 exciting European rookies who could make the 2023 Ryder Cup
THE BUNKERED GOLF PODCAST
Ryder Cup: Lee Westwood plays down prospect of being next captain
Rory McIlroy fears 20 years of US Ryder Cup dominance
Ryder Cup: Young, hungry winners - say hello to the New-S-A

Other Top Stories

Tiger Woods: Inside his $41million Florida mansion
The very best pubs in St Andrews
The Scottish Golf Course Emoji Quiz!
24 lies every bad golfer tells
Doug Sanders: The extraordinary life of golf's original playboy

Quick Fault 'n' Fixes See all videos right arrow

play button
Keeping your clubface square
Watch
play button
Align your body at address
Watch
play button
Take the club away on the correct path
Watch
play button
How to hit a fade
Watch
See all videos right arrow