• This fuels speculation that his comeback is imminent
• He was hitting his driver 300 yards at a Junior event last week
While Tiger Woods' only involvement at the first major of the year was to attend The Masters Champions Dinner, what he did to that week was register for the 2016 US Open at Oakmont.
According to Golfweek's Alex Miceli, Woods, 40, had until 5pm on Wednesday to submit his registration for the second major of the year, and did so on the April 4 - the Monday prior to The Masters - according to the USGA.
Talk of Woods' return has been building in recent weeks, with an appearance at a Junior event in South Carolina last Thursday - where he was reportedly hitting his driver 300 yards - which came two days after Golf Channel's Tim Rosaforte said that he had been involved in a series of 4-5 hour practice sessions at Medalist Golf Club in Florida, including the playing of some holes.
The 14-time major champion's reported recovery has been remarkable considering the low ebb he was at when speaking at the Hero World Challenge in December where, following two further back operations to the microdiscectomy he had in March 2014, he gave a bleak outlook on his future.
“I really don’t know ,” he said. “The hardest part for me is there’s really nothing I can look forward to, nothing I can build towards."
This is the clearest sign yet that Woods' comeback to tournament golf is imminent, with speculation that his first event could be the Memorial Tournament (June 2-5), where he has triumphed five times.
Tiger Woods :: Comeback imminent
Where do you think we'll see Tiger Woods for the first time back in tournament play? Leave your thoughts in the 'Comments' section below.