Scottish Borders duo Kathleen Gall and Pat Greenshields have progressed through to the National Grand Final of the American Golf Ladies Championship.
On a sun-baked day at Peebles Golf Club, the pair held onto victory by the narrowest of margins over home club golfers Angela Biscomb and Martha Shortreed to book their places at The Belfry from September 9-10 in front of the Sky Sports cameras.
Both pairs finished the competition with 42 points, with the Peebles duo of Biscomb and Shortreed edged out on back nine countback, to head to the tournament which will take place over the famed Brabazon Course, while a second Peebles pair of Margaret Flemming and Sheila Cuthbertson also qualified by finishing third.
“After the success of our 9 Hole and Junior Championships last year, we added the Ladies Championship for 2016,” said American Golf head of marketing Daniel Gathercole. “We’ve been delighted with the amount of ladies taking part and look forward to welcoming all the qualifiers to The Belfry for a wonderful weekend of golf that will end with the crowning of our first ever Ladies Champions.”
Entry to all of the American Golf Championships, including the American Golf Ladies Championship, is free and is part of the nationwide retailer’s drive to promote the game of golf and get more people out playing golf more often.
The other qualifiers from the other events around the country were:
• Kate Clarkson & Sue Green (Penwortham GC);
• Esther McNeill & Jane Martin (Barlaston GC);
• Christine McEwan & Lesley Hewison (High Legh Park GC);
• Carol Ticehurst& Lindy Montandon (Sedlescombe GC);
• Charlotte Hinge & Celine Graciet (Brighton & Hove GC);
• Carol Jones & Alice Jones (Billingham GC);
• Susan Handley & Margaret Tindale (Heworth Golf Club);
• Jennifer Herrmann & Paula Forster (Hexham GC).