The proposed alterations of the legendary Ailsa course at the world-renowned Trump Turnberry Resort were announced for the first time today.
But what exactly are those changes? Well, here’s a summary of the extensive alterations which Eric Trump, son of owner Donald, says ‘will offer a new playing experience which will be unrivalled anywhere in the world’.
• A tougher par-4 first hole lengthened with new championship tees and a new green with a wider landing area to encourage more attacking play;
• An extension of the par-3 fourth hole with a new green;
• An extension of the fifth hole at the tee and the green to produce a par-5 for general play, but a par-4 for the Open;
• A new, shortened par-3 sixth hole, played from a series of tees, the most dramatic of which will sit on the dune bank by the beach, to a new green with danger all around;
• A new par-3 ninth hole from the existing tees across the bay to a new green at Turnberry Point, to create one of the most exhilarating par-3s in world golf;
• A new, lengthened par-5 tenth hole playing around Castle Port Bay with new championship tees providing a number of options with the driver, the boldest being a 280-yard carry over the bay. A new green will be pushed back to the site of the existing 11th tee providing a new, elevated position with the ocean as its immediate backdrop;
• A new par-3 11th hole will play across rocky coastal inlets to a new green with a beautiful setting offering complete intimacy with the coast;
• A new, lengthened par-5 14th hole with a new and elevated green on the site of the old ninth fairway offering 180-degree views of the sea;
• A new stone bridge over the ‘Wee Burn’ at the par-4 16th hole;
• A shorter par-4 17th hole with a new green short of the current green, providing more room for a championship grandstand to the rear of the green;
• A lengthened and straightened par-4 18th hole offering a new elevated championship tee position on the dunes. This will give golfers a full view of the hotel for their final hole and, for spectators, a perfectly framed scene of players silhouetted on the horizon with the Turnberry seascape behind.
Trump Turnberry :: Developments
What are your thoughts on the developments to the Ailsa course at Trump Turnberry? Leave your thoughts in the 'Comments' section below.