• Will be the first time in history that it's been held there
• Royal Dornoch and Eden Course also chosen for 2018 events
ROYAL ABERDEEN | MURCAR LINKS
Historic Scottish links courses Royal Aberdeen and Murcar Links have been chosen by the R&A as host venues for the 2018 Amateur Championship.
It will be the first time in the tournament’s 130-year history that it has taken place on the Balgownie links, where the Scottish Open was held in 2014 and the Walker Cup in 2011, while Murcar Links established itself as a European Tour venue this year in the inaugural Paul Lawrie Match Play, impressing so much that the event will be returning there in 2016.
"Players will be excited at playing such outstanding links courses" - Johnnie Cole-Hamilton
Johnnie Cole-Hamilton, executive director of championships at the R&A, said: “We have a very strong list of championship venues for 2018 and they will provide a real challenge for the leading amateurs. I know the players will be excited at the prospect of playing such outstanding links courses and we can look forward to some tremendous golf.”
But Royal Aberdeen and Murcar Links aren’t the only Scottish courses that will be used in 2018. The Boys Home Internationals will be played at Royal Dornoch, the first time the round robin series of matches will have been played on the Sutherland links, while he Junior Open will be played at the Eden Course in St Andrews, which celebrated its centenary in 2014.
Elsewhere, Royal Portrush will welcome a field of 252 leading young players to Northern Ireland for the Boys Amateur Championship in 2018, the year before it hosts the 148th Open Championship, with neighbouring Portstewart hosting the strokeplay qualifying rounds.
Royal Porthcawl, the venue for the Senior Open in 2017, will play host to the Seniors Amateur Championship the following year. The St Andrews and Jacques Leglise Trophies will be played in Finland and the venue(s) will be announced by the European Golf Association.
The dates for 2018 are as follows:
• The Amateur Championship: Royal Aberdeen and Murcar Links – June 18-23;
• The Junior Open: Eden Course at St Andrews – July 16-18;
• The St Andrews Trophy: Finland (venue TBC) – July 26-27;
• The Boys Home Internationals: Royal Dornoch – August 7-9;
• The Seniors Amateur Championship: Royal Porthcawl – August 8-10;
• The Boys Amateur Championship: Royal Portrush and Portstewart – August 14-19;
• The Jacques Leglise Trophy: Finland (venue TBC) – Aug 31-Sept 1.
Venues in 2018 :: Scottish representation
What are your thoughts on the courses that have been chosen for championships in 2018? Leave your thoughts in the 'Comments' section below.