Sergio Garcia ‘won’t face ban’ for deliberately damaging greens

Sergio Garcia

Sergio Garcia will face no further punishment from the European Tour despite deliberately damaging FIVE greens during the third round at the Saudi International.

The 2017 Masters champion was disqualified from the event under Rule 1.2a, which allows for action to be taken if a player has committed serious misconduct.

According to Martin Dempster of The Scotsman, players in the next four groups, including Patrick Reed, complained to officials about the mess Garcia had made, which included a mixture of deliberate 'scuff marks' and a divot hole.

• Sergio 'deserves suspension', says PGA Tour pro

• Koepka picks course he'll 'definitely' win Open on

• Despite bizarre ruling, Rickie wins WMPO

In a statement released after his disqualification, Garcia said: "I respect the decision of my disqualification. In frustration, I damaged a couple of greens, which I apologise for, and I have informed my fellow players it will never happen again."

Dempster also tweeted this image of the damage Garcia inflicted on the sixth green.

The last high-profile pro to be hit with a misconduct charge was Simon Dyson in 2013.

The Yorkshireman was disqualified from the BMW Masters, was forced to pay a £30,000 fine and received a two-month suspended ban for tapping down a spike mark, an act that was then against the rules, but which is now allowed.

• Beemer predicts who will complete career grand slam in 2019

• One of Augusta National's toughest holes just got tougher

However, it appears that no further action will be taken against Garcia, due to him not only issuing a public apology, but also personally to the players in the groups behind who had called in the rules officials.

“The incident is over,” European Tour CEO Keith Pelley added to The Scotsman. “We have dealt with it. Sergio has apologised to the players and we move on.”

It is understood Garcia was heard criticising the greens earlier in the week and on Friday, he was seen taking
out his dislike of the bunkers by smashing down his sand wedge.

However, it is believed that the incidents on Saturday were not captured by Sky Sports due to Garcia being out early in the third round.

Should Garcia face further disciplinary action?

Do you think Sergio Garcia should face further action for his 'serious misconduct' in Saudi Arabia? Let us know in the 'Comments' section below.

Golf News

Brooks Koepka hits out at Holmes over pace of play
The Open: Post-Championship Report Card
Shane-sational! Lowry wins The Open at Royal Portrush
Robert MacIntyre: This has been a dream come true
The Open: Final round tee times

Other Top Stories

Tiger Woods puts new irons in the bag
New Fife golf course gets go ahead
Review: Adare Manor, Ireland's rejuvenated masterpiece
Win a spot in the ASI Scottish Open Pro-Am with Hilton
Padraig Harrington targets 2020 Ryder Cup captaincy

Quick tips with Denis Pugh and Peter Barber See all videos right arrow

play button
Fix your slice with Denis Pugh
Watch
play button
How a stronger grip can lead to extra distance
Watch
play button
Increasing your shoulder turn
Callaway
play button
How to improve your strike with Peter Barber
Watch
See all videos right arrow