• Bradley Neil rallies with bogey-free final round to get in
• Final Stage gets underway at PGA Catalunya Resort on Saturday
BRADLEY NEIL | Q SCHOOL
Bradley Neil is among five Scots en route to the Final Stage of European Tour Q School at PGA Catalunya Resort after coming through the Second Stage following an excellent bogey-free final round.
After two rounds at Panoramica Golf & Sport Resort, the 19-year-old’s chances of progressing didn’t look too promising as, on three-under-par, he was a massive 13 shots behind wire-to-wire leader Scott Fernandez.
But the 2014 British Amateur champion went 11-under-par over Sunday and Monday, lifting himself well within the top 18 – the cut off for qualification – on 14-under-par, eventually finishing in a tie for 11th.
At Lumine Golf & Beach Club, there was success for two Scots as Paul Shields and Jack Doherty safely made it through following four solid rounds of golf each.
Kirkhill’s Shields (above), who has played largely on the PGA EuroPro Tour over the past couple of seasons, rounded off his four days’ work with a superb seven-under-par 64, the second lowest round of the day, to finish on 16-under-par and three shots behind winner Daniel Gavins.
Doherty, of North Gailes, meanwhile, carded a four-under-par final round to finish alone in eighth on 13-under-par and is also comfortably through to the climax of Q School, which begins at the PGA Catalunya Resort on Saturday and runs right through until the following Thursday (November 19).
Over at Campo de Golf El Saler, David Law looked odds on to qualify after the third round and he maintained his composure on Monday to post a one-over-par 73, finishing tied fifth in an event won by Walker Cup star Jimmy Mullen by four strokes.
And it was great news for Law’s fellow Paul Lawrie Golf Centre affiliated player Ross Kellett (above), as he made it through by the skin of his teeth, scooping the last available spot at Las Colinas Golf & Country Club on six-under-par.
Here’s a rundown of how each Scot fared at each venue:
Campo de Golf El Saler, Valencia
Winner: Jimmy Mullen (-16)
• Qualified: David Law (Paul Lawrie Golf Centre) – T5 (-8)
• Michael Stewart (Troon Welbeck) – T33 (+2)
• Chris Doak (Kingsfield Golf Centre) – W/D
Las Colinas Golf & Country Club, Alicante
Winner: Philipp Mejow (-17)
• Qualified: Ross Kellett (Paul Lawrie Golf Centre – T18 (-6)
Panoramica Golf & Sport Resort, Castellon
Winner: Brian Casey/Scott Fernandez (-24)
• Qualified: Bradley Neil (Blairgowrie GC) – T11 (-14)
• Mark Hillson (Tandridge GC) – T44 (-5)
• Craig Lawrie (Paul Lawrie Golf Centre) – T65 (+7)
• Duncan Stewart (Turnhouse GC) – W/D
Lumine Golf & Beach Club, Tarragona
Winner: Daniel Gavins (-19)
• Qualified: Paul Shields (Kirkhill GC) – T3 (-16)
• Qualified: Jack Doherty (North Gailes) – 8 (-13)
• Daniel Young (Craigie Hill GC) – T52 (-1)
• Neil Henderson – 63 (+5).
Bradley Neil :: Can he be one of the 27?
Who out of the Scots in action at PGA Catalunya Resort do you think can claim their European Tour card come next Thursday? Leave your thoughts in the 'Comments' section below.