• European Tour Final Series event has serious security concerns
• There was a rocket attack in the Antalya region on Friday night
TURKISH AIRLINES OPEN | EUROPEAN TOUR
The Turkish Airlines Open, one of the events on the European Tour’s Final Series, has been thrown into doubt over security concerns.
On Friday night, there were two rocket attacks in Antalya, the southern region where the tournament is due to take place from November 3-6.
"We are currently investigating the incident" - European Tour spokesperson
Although it was some 90km from the Belek venue, the European Tour issued a statement saying it was urgently investigating the situation and were liaising with local authorities to see if they should still go ahead with the event.
QUIZ -> Can you name Top 50 on European Tour's Money List?
“As a matter of priority, we are currently investigating today's incident in the Antalya region with our security consultants and local authorities,” said a European Tour spokesperson at the British Masters. “We will update further as soon as possible.”
Belek has been a popular destination for foreign golfers since the first golf course, National Golf Club, opened in 1994. There are now 14 golf courses in the area.
"We must overcome the negativity which has been and still is created by the media" - Cahit Sahin
However, in recent months, Turkish tourism has been hit by a series of bombings, a failed coup in July and tensions with Russia, whose citizens are among the main visitors to Turkish resorts.
Following the failed coup attempt, Cahit Sahin, the Turkey chairman of the International Association of Golf Tourism Operators (IAGTO), urged tourists to keep visiting the country, saying: "In general, daily life in Turkey carries on as before, but in the tourism sector especially, we must overcome the negativity which has been and still is created by the media.
Read more -> Renovations show off 'beauty' of Belek resort
"All of us wherever we are, know and understand the harm the media can do, with their sensationalist stories, and yet no government has advised its citizens against travelling to the tourist destinations of Turkey, least of all Antalya.
"We ask you not to judge us on what the media says. We ask you to continue supporting us and coming here for holidays."
Should the event go ahead, France’s Victor Dubuisson will defend the title he won last year, which was his second victory in the event following his maiden European Tour win in 2013.
Of course, Tiger Woods was also scheduled to be playing in the event, but withdrew last week after scrapping his comeback at the Safeway Open.
Turkish Airlines Open thrown into doubt
What do you make of the security concerns ahead of the Turkish Airlines Open in just three weeks' time? Should the European Tour seriously consider cancelling the Final Series event? Leave your thoughts in the 'Comments' section below.